Monday, July 26, 2010

Monroe Micheal Kenneth





So here's a little of our birth story for you :)

Due to all of the issues with my kidney we headed in for an induction on July 15th. Where the doctors attempted for 36 hours to induce labor. It didn't work and to say I was frustrated was an understatement.

We met with the OB on Monday and discussed whether to try again the next week or to wait 2 weeks. I opted to try again the next week.

So we headed in Wednesday night (July 21st) to try again. This time they tried a completely different approach to induction and we were sent home, only to return about an hour later dilated to 2 cm. We than stayed overnight, Paul slept I had some slight contractions throughout the night.

The next morning at 9:30 am the OB broke my water and began pitocin 2 ml/half hour and by 11:30 am I was dilated to 4 cm, which is when the epidural came in handy. (found out after that the baby had been posterior as well)

I was checked at 1 pm and had not progressed much further. Than at 3 pm I advised the nurse I was feeling some pressure. She checked and I was fully dilated. She suggested I do some passive pushing for a bit so as not to be intensely pushing for the average 2-3 hours for a first time mom. So with the support of my mom, Paul and my doula April I did this.

At 4:15 pm the nurse came in and advised me that she just had to finish prepping the OR for another lady and than would be back to begin the final stage! At 4:30 pm she came in and at 5:07 pm Monroe Micheal Kenneth was welcomed into the world. Weighing in at 6 lbs 13 oz. and measuring 19 inches long.

It was shocking to me how quickly everything happened and a bit overwhelming. We've been home since Saturday afternoon now and are slowly adjusting to all that is baby and feeding and trying to sleep, which a cold I got is not helping.

Monroe's name was because I loved it, Micheal is after my father and Zaide (grandfather) and Kenneth is after Paul's grandfather.

We're so thankful for our little man and for all the love and support we've received from everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment